Hip Dysplasia is a terrible genetic disease because of the various degrees of arthritis (also called degenerative joint disease, arthrosis, osteoarthrosis) it can eventually produce, leading to pain and debilitation. We perform special x-rays for certification of hip and elbows without anesthesia or sedation. Please call 2 to 3 month inadvance of requested appointment.
Below are the requiremnets for radiographs.
1. AKC certificates must be faxed to our office (3 days) prior to your
appointment. This certificate has to be the final certificate and not application for registration. A catalog listing is not acceptable.
2. The owner/co-owner must present the certificate/certificates at the time of the appointment.
3. Preliminary O.F.A.'s are done on dogs 6 months to 24 months.
4. Permanent O.F.A.'s are done on dogs older than 24 months. This is in correlation to the birth date on the AKC certificate.
5. We will not perform an O.F.A. radiographs if the patient is coming into/or is in heat, has whelped recently or still nursing. The recommended period of waiting is usually 2 to 3 months after the heat cycle or has finished nursing.
6. O.F.A. will certify readings only if the dog has a Tattoo, Microchip and/or DNA certificate. We scan for Home Again, Avid, and the new ones from Europe. Please note, that if you are in need of a Microchip, we can supply this at the time of your visit.
7. When faxing your AKC papers over to our office, please make sure that it is noted as to whether you would like hips or hips and elbows and when your appointment is scheduled. Always request verification that your fax was sent when you set up your appointment. Fax number is 609-888-1878 or you can send a copy of akc via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Paper work will be processed by one of the staff at HVH. Digital x-rays are required by OFA to be sent in by the Veterinary Hospital who is doing the procedure. What this means is that at the time of x-rays owner must be ready to sign and supply credit card information to be filled out on the application form. We (HVH) will then send it in to OFA for evaluation. For those breeders who send in multiple x-rays for a breeders discount must supply them at the time of submission. If you are unable to do so, we will keep the digital radiograph on hand until all the digital submissions are together to be sent into OFA. Mailing charges will be applied based on weight of mailing and must be paid at the time of submission. A copy of the radiograph can be supplied at additional cost of $10.00.
9. We will receive a copy of the report from O.F.A. once they have reviewed the information. This will be placed in the patient's file. You may request a copy of this report in the event that you have misplaced the original report from O.F.A.
10. Appointments are in very high demand. If you are unable to keep the appointment, you must notify the hospital within 72 hours of your appointment. Failure to do so will result in a $ 25.00 service charge. You will need to speak with Jim Harper in order to schedule another appointment.